The Max Planck Institute for Brain Research (MPI for Brain Research) in Frankfurt am Main is a vibrant research institution in the field of basic biological and medical research, with a focus on understanding the functions of the brain’s circuits. Our institute has approx. 250 employees in three research departments and five research groups, as well as several service units.
Together with the MPI of Biophysics we operate a joint mass spectrometry lab to develop MS-based methods for projects at both institutes.
For this lab, we look for an
Engineer (m/f/d) or Technical assistant (m/f/d)
in Chemistry, Biochemistry or Biophysics
The position is on an initial, fixed-term contract for two years, with the possibility for extension to a permanent contract
- Support and maintenance of LC-MS instruments, routine performance monitoring (calibration, QC measurements), instrument trouble shooting and cleaning
- Development of MS-based methods for scientific projects and acquisition, evaluation and analysis of data (shotgun proteomics (DDA, DIA), PTM/Phosphoproteomics, low-input proteomics, Top-down analyses, Metabolomics, HDX-MS, MS Imaging)
- Routine service measurements (e.g. gel band analyses, protein identification)
- Completed university education as Engineer (m/f/d) or Master/Diploma in Chemistry, Biochemistry or Biophysics or equivalent technical qualification, ideally with work experience
- Experience using mass spectrometers and HPLC systems
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English for evaluation and presentation of scientific data and for exchange with our international colleagues
- Open-minded and motivated personality with a focus on teamplay
- Ability to work accurately and independently as well as excellent communication skills
We offer you:
- Position with payment according to German TVöD (Collective Wage Agreement for Government Service Workers - Federal Government) with all benefits of the public service
- Training on state-of-the art instruments and in analytical techniques (Proteomics, Interactomics, Proteome turnover, phosphoproteomics, HDX-MS, crosslinking)
Working on interesting and diverse projects in an international lab and research environment:
- A friendly working atmosphere with outstanding, state-of-the-art infrastructure
- A corporate pension plan
- Extensive scientific and personal training programs as well as scientific exchange on workshops and conferences
- Family service (baby and children's room at the institute, day care center on campus)
- Cafeteria and bistro in the institute building
- Corporate Health Management (e.g. company doctor, sports offers)
- Good connections to public transportation
- Support for the Deutschland-Job-Ticket
The Max-Planck Society is committed to increasing the number of individuals with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages applications from such qualified individuals. Furthermore, the Max Planck Society seeks to increase the number of women in those areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply.
The compatibility of work and family is very important to us; among other things, we offer the possibility of childcare in the immediately neighboring Kita Kairos. For more information, please visit our homepage.
Please send your full application, including a letter of motivation explaining how your qualifications and experience make you a good candidate for this job, together with a full CV, a reference letter (if available) and related certificates electronically as a single pdf file by October 31st, 2023 on our application platform.